Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sailboat Living, Just More Comfortable

There hasn't been a time in my life I didn't dream of living aboard a boat. Preferably, a sailboat. Owning a large spacious yacht never was the idea though. Years later, I have yet to live aboard, but have spent time sailing and around many types of boats, large and small, sail and power. The dream is still alive mixed with the reality of how I appreciate comfort and convenience. Boats miss the mark quite a bit.

I own a boat (small by any ones standards) and enjoy a long weekend or occasional overnight, but no desire to spend a cold winter or hot summer living aboard full time.

The appeal in youth was the adventure much as it is now in my life. Today, there is the added idea of downsizing to essentials for living. A few pair of jeans and shorts, t-shirts, maybe one outfit to look presentable if the need arises, and enough to stay dry in bad weather. These few things in a place with what is needed to cook modest meals, hygiene of course, and a comfortable place to read and write.

I thought of building myself a Shanty Boat. These were very inexpensive boat, cheap, common after the Civil War through the Depression. Many people lived and worked on the big rivers of the United States. Many simply drifted with the currents and weather. In looking in to these boats I discovered Small Homes or Tiny House. Not trailers, nor cabins. Just efficient little houses. There are great sites and blogs and my newest favorite is Deek and Relax Shack. I like to Shack-ness of his ideas.

It's cold now and if I were on my sailboat baking Chocolate Chip Cookies (yes, capitalized) would be out of the question. In a tiny house, no problem. So, I'll bake some cookies now and dream of a shack that has all the adventure of living aboard a boat with all the comforts thrown in.

No comments: