Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Good Wine In A While

Never have I been a connoisseur of wines, nor do I want to be. New Year's Eve, though, I wandered into a wine merchant in Annapolis, Maryland, BIN 201. Rarely would I venture in to such a quality wine merchant for my selection. The grocery is where I find myself buying my wine. "Selecting" wine is giving me far too much credit, more likely my choice is based on price, red or white, and a label I recognize. With luck I'll like the wine - if not let's hope I will remember the name (i.e the picture on the label) and not buy it next time.

In searching for my "favorites" I found a wide range of prices and a great variety to select from. There were wines in my price range, just not my "favorites." So it was to be another trip to my neighborhood grocer.

Upon making my turn towards the door a revelation occurred to me, "If this store has ANY wine at ANY price it would be far better than any uninformed selection I could have hoped to make in the grocery aisle. I picked a label I liked, 14 Hands 2008 Merlot and headed  for the cashier. The colorful horses on the label were more in line with my palate, color palette anyway. My  revelation that the store proprietor possesses the skills to choose wine better than I lead me to spring for an extra $2.00 in price and buy what I'd chosen.

New Year's Eve and the weekend came and went and the wine went unopened. Last night I opened the wine and found the proprietor was far and above a  much better source in choosing wines. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been to Bin201 also - what a wonderful store! Wish it was a bit closer to home, I'd make all my wine purchases there!