Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Another First

Today was my first trip in to Washington, D.C., the first time this year anyway. One of my New Years wishes is to be more positive in my comments about people and things in life. Going in to DC makes it difficult to keep that wish. Many years ago on my "First" visit to DC I was so proud. The strength and power and pride we as a nation express there was exciting. Over the years I have been there many times and lived there for a brief period. My oldest son was born there and has coincidentally moved there himself.  Now unfortunately, in a tough economy and tough times for people it is hard to think that DC appreciates the way most people live and work in our country. It just seems like a lot of money and energy are going in to the government and its trappings. All this while people work harder and harder, if they are working at all to pay for so much there.

On my drive home I started to feel resentful and well, be negative. I held off and my karma turned good. Today is the story of Ted Williams. The homeless guy with the golden voice. What a  positive good thing. Instead, I am happy and thrill for such an excellent thing that has happened for him. He had a good attitude, great voice, and was hanging in there. I wish him the very best. For all the ugly, greedy, and self importance in this world, today one guy got a break and a second chance.

First time I've felt this good in a while.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think there ia a second (or third, fourth...etc.) chance out there for all of us. A willingness to have a positive outlook and focus on what we can do for ourselves and for others each day helps move us toward that new chance, no matter how small the steps.

Bill said...

Interesting view